A few people have told me over the years that I should keep something called a gratitude journal. The concept is that you make a daily list of what you are grateful for, and in doing so you are actively looking for the blessings in your life that you may not have previously noticed.
I've tried doing this several times, but I always end up quitting or forgetting about it after about 4 or 5 entries. I know, I'm horrible.
Thanksgiving usually is a prompt for most of us to think of what we really are grateful for in life. It can be difficult to initially come up with an idea, but once you really think about it, you find more and more things that you are grateful for but can easily take for granted.
In honor of Thanksgiving and the people who have suggested gratitude journals, I have a few things that I am grateful for:
- A roof over my head and never truly feeling without basic needs
- My loved ones and the ongoing support they give me
- My strength to get through the rough patches
- The self-fulfillment I get from creating, without knowing the final result
- Last but not least: coffee! I don't know how I would function without it
If you haven't already, you can subscribe to the design blog here.